Who is the RN Refresher Course for?
- Registered nurses that are applying for reinstatement of their Texas nursing license after more than 4 years of inactive or delinquent status are required to complete a “nursing refresher course”.
- Registered nurses that are applying for Texas nursing licensure coming from another state who have not been employed as a registered nurse within the last 4 years.
- RN Refresher Course meets Texas Board of Nursing guidelines
We also welcome registered nurses currently licensed in the state of Texas who have been away from the clinical setting for a period of time (typically more than 4 years) who want a good medical/surgical refresher before going back to the clinical setting.
UT Health San Antonio School of Nursing has clinical affiliations with health care organizations within San Antonio and select locations throughout the state. The following health care organizations currently participate in the RN Refresher program.
San Antonio locations:
- University Health System
- Methodist Healthcare System
- Health By Design
- South Texas Spine & Surgical Hospital
- USMD Hospital at Arlington
- The University of Texas M. D. Anderson Cancer Center (Houston)
- CTMC (San Marcos)
Course Start Dates:
Spring: January 18, 2019 (enrollment open)
Fall: August 2019
RN Refresher Course Coordinator/Instructor:
Kimberly Cox, MS, RN, NE-BC
Department of Lifelong Learning
UT Health San Antonio School of Nursing
7703 Floyd Curl Drive, MSC 7946
San Antonio, TX 78229-3900
The information below will help prospective students get ready for our program.
Course Enrollment Options
The Full Course
This option includes the didactic / online component, the clinical skills laboratory component, and the 80-hour clinical practicum component. The fee includes: course registration, skills lab fee, malpractice insurance, background check, HIPAA training, AHA Basic Life Support training, electronic health record (charting) access. This fee is non-refundable.
Online Didactic & Skills Lab Course
This option includes the didactic / online component and the clinical skills laboratory component. The fee includes: course registration, skills lab fee, HIPAA training, and electronic health record (charting) access. This fee is non-refundable.
Online Didactic Course
This option includes the didactic online component only. The fee includes course registration, HIPAA training, and electronic health record (charting) access. This fee is non-refundable.
When I discovered the program I had been out of nursing for about 6 or 7 years. I am now in a bone marrow transplant clinic and working on furthering my degree, all because of this comprehensive nurse refresher program. I know that it is vital for nurses like myself and many others that would otherwise not be given another chance at employment and a nursing career.
– RN Refresher Graduate